On this Inauguration Day 2013 when we will once again hear from President Obama as he gives a speech that will swoon many and will be filled with empty promises, let's take a look back at his first inaugural address and see how that went. Even if a leader is absent all of the qualifications that make for a good president, if he can speak good and can fire up the disenchanted and give hope to the underprivileged, that person doesn't need qualifications that make for a great statesman.
As is typical, President Obama gave a rousing speech on January 20, 2009 to a crowd of some 1.5 million people at the Mall in Washington DC for inauguration number 1. Much of that speech was flattery and hollow hyperbole, but none the less effective for those that look at style over substance.
For the record, here are a few things the president said on that historic day and our comments in bold on how he did with his eloquent imagery.
1. On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. Apparently these words didn't keep President Obama from spending most of his first term not telling people how they can succeed and how they can attain wealth, but telling people that the rich were out to get them and they weren't paying their fair share.
2. On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics. So, how to you think Obama did with this? Did he bridge the divide in Washington? Did he help move consensus building along or did he poison much of the political deal making by first grandstanding with the press on how bad the evil Republicans are?
3. We remain a young nation.Â But in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. Maybe Barack Obama could have put away some of the constant denigrating of people's wealth. Maybe Barack Obama could have negotiated with Republicans in good faith instead of being childish and deciding that if he didn't get his way on the budget, the fiscal cliff, Obamacare, the debt ceiling and much more that he wasn't going to have any kind of a deal. Obama is not known for negotiating. It is his way or the highway.
4. Our journey has never been one of short-cuts or settling for less... Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things -- some celebrated, but more often men and women obscure in their labor -- who have carried us up the long rugged path towards prosperity and freedom. Wait, I thought government had all the answers according to Obama. Anyone remember the "You didn't build that" quote?
5. But our time of standing pat, of protecting narrow interests and putting off unpleasant decisions -- that time has surely passed.Â Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America. Protecting narrow interests? Obama is protecting the same Wall Street con artists he has been accusing Bush of protecting for the last 4 years. He is also doing a mountain of other things he accused Bush of doing. Here's a great list of 100 of those things.
6. And we will act, not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth. Hate to tell you liberals this, but Obama's job creation numbers are a complete myth.
7. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. The only thing Obama harnessed was taxpayer money out of our pockets and into failed green initiatives. How well did Solyndra and some of those other green companies do, Barack?
8. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age.Â All this we can do.Â All this we will do. The only thing that Obama has done to universities since becoming president is make them more out of reach of the average American high school grad. Tuition went up an astounding 15% in Obama first 2 years in office.
9. What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them, that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. Forget about political arguments being stale, the president couldn't even get past using immature bathroom humor. Who is he kidding?
10. And those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account, to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day, because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government. This one is about off the charts and makes my head nearly explode. Obama is the most free spending, budget busting hustler we have ever had in the oval office. His spending is like a rich, drunken college student who's dad gave him an unlimited credit card. Remember, Obama won't even admit that we have a spending problem. Apparently he is not conscious of the current universe he is living in.
11. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations. Earth to Obama, China owns nearly $1.2 trillion of our treasury securities, how safe is that for those future generation Barack?
Obama's first inaugural speech was a complete joke, but has anyone in the main stream media parsed that now 4 year old rhetorical masterpiece of emptiness and asked the important questions as to whether any of this nonsense actually came true? Does it matter to those in the state owned media that they gave Obama a pass and he has now made a second speech of sweet sounding babble that will never see reality?
Obama's second term is upon us and he has once again fooled the masses and the media with vacant words, but they sounded as sweet and captivating as they did 4 years ago. Apparently that is all that matters.